Pages

27.2.10

Two Girls, One Offer.

This morning, I was woken up by a knock on the door.  Two striking young women stood on the other side, looking to practice their public speaking.  Here's the pitch (this isn't verbatim... I was still in a sleepy stupor):
Hi, I'm _______ and this is ________ (asks for my name).  We're two students that are looking to practice our public speaking skills (asks if I do a lot of public speaking).  To show how well we're doing, you get to decide how many points we earn.  Whoever gets the most points gets a round trip ticket (asks where I would go)!
I'm going to stop this from going any further, because it reminds me of my days as a door-to-door salesperson (it still makes me queasy...).  Instead of determining "how many points" they should earn (they get points for which magazine subscriptions I buy), I will break down their techniques, and maybe we can all learn something from today's event.
  1. The ladies begin with a story.  This is to establish rapport.  Businesses want you to "build rapport" because people are easier to persuade when they like you, especially if they can relate to you.
  2. They ask a lot of easy questions.  This is to help engage you in the conversation.  Once you are actively involved, it is easy to make tiny requests.  Today, the ladies asked if I had a desk they could use to write on.  Saying yes gave them momentum to ask for bigger requests (buying a magazine).  This is the foot-in-the-door technique (they literally walked through my doorway).
  3. The business transaction was hidden.  I wasn't buying a subscription... I was evaluating students on their public speaking skills! 
  4. They put a pamphlet in my hand.  Putting something in a potential customer's hand is a façade of ownership.  The person now has something to lose.
  5. Some names of my next door neighbors are dropped.  People tend to do things that they see others doing because they want to be a part of a group.  Straying from the norm is a hard thing to do.
  6. The big request... subscribing for a year to a high priced magazine.  Don't want one?  Donate a cheap magazine to a children's hospital.  A small request is much easier to oblige to when relative to a large request.  Door-in-the-face technique.
  7. Before I even considered buying, the girls started taking down my billing information.  This is to establish a commitment.  It is hard to stop something when the process is nearly completed.
I want to go on record to say that I do not hate salespeople.  A job is a job... yes they are people... and yes they have souls just like everyone else.

No sale today ladies.  But a B+ for effort.  Now... time for me to put on some pants.