Pages

7.7.10

Ah... Upgrading.

I could probably tell you all the cool features of the new iPhone 4 if you asked me.  It's not because I own one... A friend and new owner of this magical wonderbox proceeded to let me know how amazing it was.  Multiple times.  For the first 4 hours of his acquisition, he basically read me the specification sheet.  He also has it decked out with a guard protector, a ridiculous amount of memory he'll never use, and a battery that could probably power a third world country for a couple of days.

If you told me about all of that when I was 10 years younger, I would have gone nuts with envy.  I can see myself in early teen fashion saying "Sweet!" or "How cool!" and the like.  But now, I'm unimpressed.  The cost of the phone, insurance, and getting tied up in a 2 year contract would take a heavy chunk out of my budget.  I can't wrap my head around carrying that thing, knowing how much money it's pulling away from me every month.

And people are attached, or at least have to be to justify what I think is a silly purchase.  It's a necessity.  Living without an iPhone is not living at all, so I've been told.  Peer pressure has been ample.

I am fascinated by our society's yearning for better.  The continual upgrade ideal wasn't initially part of the American Dream.  I always thought it was having the freedom to pursue enough for oneself, family, and community no matter what background. 

Their have been many advancements in technology which have made production faster and easier.  Yet we work just as long, if not longer than before... to what end?  So then when the newer coolest thing comes out, we'll be ready to pull the trigger on purchasing it and then paying for the upkeep?  We are now cursed with being slaves to our luxuries.