Pages

12.3.10

What's Success to You? - Part II

This is a continuation from yesterday's post. See Part I.

My own responses to the assignment:

Success, in my own eyes, is living a life of richness in learning and experience, understanding of the world around me, and contribution to the future
  • Richness in learning and experience - I will forever be a student, constantly observing, questioning, and applying what lessons I have gained during my time. (Internal)
  • Understanding of the world around me - I've been brought up to think a specific way and am curious to see the view from perspectives completely different from my own.  I'd like to expand my ability to critically think. (Internal)
  • Contribution to the future - From what I have gained, I want to share with others.  Knowledge, inspiration, wealth... my resources of time and ability are limited, and I must be diligent in my focus to provide. (External... though some may argue Internal)
I don't think there will ever be a time I know when I have reached success;  I feel as though having that moment of "I've finally made it!" implies completeness in a truly incomplete life.
  • I never want to say that I'm finished.  I want to revel in my journey, and spend my last dying days still in pursuit.  This world is too big of a place for one man, with infinite possibilities for growth, but that shouldn't stop me from taking action to seek out what I can. 
  • With all these endeavors, I must remember to keep it simple. Act and then adjust, not over-complicate and never act.
  • I never want to be perfect, or even close to it.  I want to know myself, understand my flaws, utilize my strengths, and find enjoyment in the process.
  • I'm done with competing.  I will push myself, but in a direction that I set for myself and for the benefit of knowing my own capacity.  My pace will be fluid / ever-changing, but never over-taxing.
I try to revisit this exercise when I can, to make sure that what I am doing aligns with these thoughts.  It's personal and it gives me a sense of control and purpose in my life.  But the key is that it's personal to me.  When doing an exercise like this, it's safe to be honest because the only judgment you'll receive is from yourself.  Don't compare notes... take some time out of your day and truly think.  If anything, use this as an excuse to have some personal "you time" to downshift from the daily grind.